Friday, November 12, 2010

Alternatives Summary

In reviewing my classmates Point summaries on the Alternatives unit, I chose to focus primarily on the blogs of Austin Loman, Abigail Buchanan and Leslie Canipe. All three did a great job in explaining the unit very well. I could tell that they understood the unit in great detail. Even if I wasn’t in the class I would be able to comprehend the Gothic, Renaissance, and Baroque time period.
Abigail’s blog post gave a great overview of each unit with great examples of each time period. She emphasized the importance of the reviewing of the classic elements in each of the time periods.
Leslie’s post consisted of an in-depth analysis of the Gothic era. She pointed things out that I had never thought about. For instance, “The main concept is “Ecstasy and Exultation,” which essentially relates to the shaping of space around the light, colors, and amplifiers themselves.”  After reading her excerpt,  I gained more knowledge about the Gothic era in particular. She also pointed out that in the Renaissance, our main principles of design and design elements came into play.
In Austin’s review of the Alternatives Unit, he stated that the Renaissance was a cultural revolution. I had never thought about the Renaissance being a cultural revolution before. His statement allowed me to think about the Renaissance in a more thorough way than just the analytical way I had been. Austin’s image of David also became more clear to me. I finally understood the emphasis that Roth, Harwood, and Patrick were putting on this image. 

Bernini's David

No comments:

Post a Comment